RFID is a technology that enables automatic and remote identification of items via radio waves, which significantly improves the operational efficiency of stores, warehouses and supports the comfort of customers. Labels attached to items, called tags, send radio signals that are received and interpreted by the reader. The remote method of collecting information accelerates the stocktaking process significantly. Depending on a model, the device is able to read over a thousand tags in one second. Then the collected information is sent to a database where it can be used as needed.
The use of RFID technology during the stocktaking process guarantees that the recording will be much more efficient and error-free. Based on reliable real-time stocktaking information, we can precisely manage sales and allocate and move products as needed.
– RFID technology is an important element that makes it possible to maintain an optimal purchasing and logistics process. Tags, an inseparable element of RFID, can have various shapes: from a paper label to a thread sewn into the garment. By implementing RFID technology, we receive complete information about the owned products and fixed assets. It saves time significantly and also minimises the risk of a mistake. Thanks to RFID technology, store and warehouse stocks are under full control of the system – says Paweł Trojanowski, Expert for Energy and Business Development Manager at Sescom SA.
Stocktaking in commercial facilities and warehouses is an extremely important and necessary process. However, without the support of RFID technology, it is problematic due to the need to involve more people, the risk of errors and long operational time.
– The stocktaking process of 30,000 items takes approximately 10 hours. About 10 people should be involved in the work and they can start stocktaking only after closing the store. Using RFID technology, stocktaking will last less than two hours, with only two people involved. It is worth noting that in stores using RFID, the frequency of stocktaking is much higher. Asset stocktaking time using RFID technology can be reduced by up to 80 percent. It all depends on the store area and the access to cash registers, shelves or air conditioners. Our company provides the optimal selection of equipment, using several types of tags with different parameters. As part of the cooperation with the customer, we are responsible for the installation and servicing of the RFID system – adds Paweł Trojanowski.
The use of RFID technology in stocktaking allows to:
- gain comprehensive knowledge about fixed assets,
- save a significant number of man-hours,
- efficiently monitor and manage equipment, for example, in terms of transfers between facilities,
- perform it by an employee who has no knowledge of the type of fixed assets, their specificity or location.
In addition, RFID technology and the SES Matic system provide a history of the location of given items, which is extremely useful in crisis situations, where it is necessary to provide detailed data on the items in a given location. An important issue is also building a database of the value and condition of assets for accounting purposes, as well as creating a service event management system based on identification in RFID technology.